This year is maybe the worst ever for our family falling prey to whatever stupid supergerm is going around, also I have recently had the irritating & totally unsurprisingly revelation that if you are up to your neck in being the auction design lead as well as being the kindergarten class project lead AS WELL AS having committed to a variety of handmade donations, well, not only are you someone who maybe needs to learn to say "no" a little bit better, but you should probably try to avoid being laid flat out with a fever for four days in the middle of several converging deadlines. And that it's a good thing you are in no way involved in writing the catalog copy, as your life has become one huge blur of a run-on sentence.
But! I am finally feeling human again (just in time for my son to be wiped out by whatever stupid supergerm caused nine kids to be absent yesterday (nine! Although my husband pointed out that his class - nine actually makes for a very pleasant teacher-student ratio, so maybe it was very enriching for the healthy kids.), & I have finished the auction quilt! Hurrah!
I love this one. I started with "garden" as my concept, struggled through a number of sketches & color stories that weren't quite making it happen, & eventually solved it through the time-honored "less is more" method. (I also used my own personal time-honored rule of "when in doubt, see if some Kona Cotton in Sage helps." So far, the answer is usually yes.)
Things probably would have been easier if I'd started with "door" as my concept instead.
The slightly mismatched strips you see there are different dyelots of the same fabrics that I had hanging around in my scrap boxes (the darker linen/cotton is actually left over from the preschool auction quilt), randomly inserted into the piecing. Including the darker aqua was a deliberate plan; including the darker "natural" was just a way to get the length I needed without cutting into more yardage, but I think it worked out really well (&, probably, better than it would have if I'd planned it out).
This is my absolute favorite part of the quilt: a big rectangle of featherweight corduroy in a mossy olive green. (Along with evidence of the teeth-gnashing struggles I was having with the tension settings on my newly tuned-up machine. I eventually got in the groove, but not before a lot of tedious unpicking.)
But then the tedious unpicking is always worth it when the quilt comes out of the dryer all rumpled & squashy. Just like last year, I wouldn't mind bringing it back home (though last year's went to a friend of mine, so I get to visit it sometimes.)
Meanwhile, class projects have to get done too:
I did a block printing project with my daughter's kindergarten class earlier this year, so we decided to have the kids do a set of city-themed prints. (The entire project was inspired by pixiegenne's beautiful block prints from a while back.)
A few kids are doing Seattle landmarks, the rest are doing houses, buildings, & a few trees. We're about halfway done, & -- even though I think it's going to look terrific -- the very best thing about this project is watching the kids light up when they peel back the foam & see the prints they've made. I think they'll feel some real connection to the piece when it's finished, which is a nice change from last year's GIANT DECOUPAGE BENCH.
(I'll still be relieved when it's done, though.)