I have been meaning to post about progress & process of the auction quilt (latest pictures on flickr), but just today I learned that instead of the four or five final squares I was expecting, I actually have THIRTEEN squares to complete by the end of the week, so I sort of can't say anything articulate about the project right now.
But then, as it turns out, Valentine's Day waits for no fit of pique, so this afternoon I pulled out the gocco & set the kids to work making their valentines. I was not at all sure that things would go well, but they LOVED it.
I explained to my girl that we'd be making a fancy kind of stamp out of one of her drawings, & though she was a bit skeptical of the idea that we'd be putting the same picture on every valentine, she was willing to try. She supervised the ink-mixing, & then was a little tentative with the first few prints, but by the time her brother got home she'd pushed me out of the way & was busily printing.
Her cards had to be positioned very specifically on the grid (four down, one over), & she took that over too, with great seriousness.
And then very carefully laid the prints out to dry.
This one took to it just as quickly, though I was very amused to see that where my daughter was getting a lot of satisfaction from the creation of each individual print, he clearly saw it as an excellent means of mass-production, i.e. getting to mess around with one of my cool art tools while getting classroom valentines out of the way at the same time.
He liked the squishing part, too, though once the cards were printed he handed them off to me to deal with, assembly-line style.