Before I tackled doorstoppus elephantus, I'd been working slow-but-steady on springy pieces for my girl. I am so in love with sewing right now that she's really just an excuse for buying new fabric & trying new patterns, but she seems to be pretty satisfied with her end of the deal.
These pants are my first attempt at the loose linen-y summery pants I was envisioning, as well as being my first attempt at, well, pants. It was surprisingly hard to find the kind of pattern I imagined, & this one isn't perfect (I was thinking wider, more flowy in the legs), but the more I watch her run around in them the more I love them, also I did a really good job on the pockets, which makes up for any other faults. They're a linen/rayon blend that I got on sale at Joann, & although I can't tumble-dry them, they're sturdy enough to take a round of tacos with a stain spray chaser & still look great.
One detail I ended up really liking is the use of the yoke at the waist -- same idea but different construction as the skirt I always make, which I should probably just refer to as The Skirt -- with a really wide elastic inside. It's got a nice flat fit, which I think makes the pants look a little more "finished" than your basic elastic-waist variety (though I'm considering trying one of those patterns out as well, maybe from one of my Japanese books -- second book down in that post, the pants I'm eyeing are not pictured, but are similar).
Speaking of Japanese books, though, I finally broke away from The Skirt & made a skirt out of one of the books I got about a year ago -- & showed off in a post where I mention my "developing skirt obsession," ha.
Knee length, gathered waistband, nice deep patch pockets. It, like its friend New Pants, has survived a round of chili + stain spray with aplomb. This was the first actual sewing project I'd attempted from one of the Japanese books (the felt boxes don't count, since nobody has to wear them), & although I spent a long time studying the setup (& figuring out which pattern pieces I needed to trace), once I got started, it was pretty obvious. I did run into some deep confusion about the waistband directions, & I'm not sure that my solution was the proper one, but I ended up with all the seams matching, so clearly I am a sewing genius.