While uploading this entry's pictures to my flickr I realized how springy they all are as a group; I mean, obviously, the cherry tree
(This is a lovely, sturdy, arching cherry (under grey March skies) in our backyard. For about one week every year the blossoms form a perfect canopy of palest pink translucent fluff, & it's enough to make me not mind so much that we don't have room in our yard for my all-time favorite spring tree, the tulip magnolia.)
& the grape hyacinth
(This border has naturalized from about 20 bulbs planted 4 or 5 years ago. I would grow a whole field of these if I could. I'm especially pleased to see that some of my paler blue ones are starting to peek out between the tulip leaves. We have big plans to redo our (tiny) front yard this year, replacing the near-tragic grass with a path + planting beds, but I'm feeling pretty nervous about disturbing my perfect muscari border in process.)
are plenty springy, being spring flowers etc, but it wasn't until this morning that I realized how obvious it is that I'm ready for the season change. Granted, two of my three current projects are for my daughter, who is nothing if not pink so there's a built-in excuse for it, but oh how I'm enjoying being up to my elbows in bright girly florals.
I finished piecing this last night, & the first thing I noticed about it this morning is a mistake that I am going to try to ignore (I have been reading the blogs about doll quilts being slapdash by nature! I listened to the podcast!) but between you & me, it's inevitable that I am totally going to end up picking apart a bunch of tiny seams before the end of the day. It's particularly frustrating because I'd figured out what I thought was a reasonable compromise between obvious repeat (easy) & no repeat (hard) & was feeling pretty pleased with myself about it. Until this morning. Anyway, my ridiculous perfectionism aside, this is going to be part of a doll bed/bedding set for my daughter's birthday present, & I am having a fantastic time with the project.
The doll blanket was not part of the original bed extravaganza, but what better excuse to get with the grannying?
At first I thought I'd make a whole bunch of tiny squares, but then, thanks to Alicia & an untouched ball of aqua cotton in my stash, I decided to go for a nice soothing border around all that pink. I have some edging plans that I'm excited about, but first I have to decide how big to make the thing. The squares are blocked to 3.5", so I'll probably do one more row of three & then get on to the fun stuff (like weaving in the ends, whee). I like that this little project is giving me a sense of what it means to crochet a thing (the structure of the stitches hasn't quite snapped into focus for me yet, but I am sticking my hook into the yarn mess a little less randomly these days), but I wouldn't say I'm a crochet convert. Yet.
I love the way these colors are coming together, so crisp & light even with all the black. Also, I'm already investigating the idea of sending this one out to be quilted by someone else, & I'm finding that just the thought of not having to carefully cram it through my machine is making me feel light & springy too.